This is my answer of this question:If you are a programmer, did you learn to code in college, or by yourself?
- As you know, I am a Chinese.
- I started learning how to code in 1992, when I was 13, my parents brought me a game-computer (compatibles of Nintendo FC, with a keyboard, and some typing study application etc.). This game-computer have a Basic on it, so I learn how to code in Basic from the manual of this game-computer.
- When I was 15, I went to high school, our school started a computer lesson. Our math teacher learned how to use computer and Dos, WordStar, GW-Basic, and taught us. These is a very fancy computer classroom in our school. We went to this computer classroom every week, this is the only chance we can touch these 8086 PCs. The only 286 PC was used by our teacher, and our PCs had black-white screen, the teacher’s 286 PC had a colour screen. And we only had one year computer lesson in high school. I and one of my good friend, we were really in coding, so we brought a book of C, and a book of Borland C++, but all 3 years in high school, We didn’t have chance to see Turbo-C and Borland C++.
- When I was 18, just before I went to college, my parents brought me a 586 PC, and the sales of the computer gave me some pirated CD, include Delphi, VB, VC, C++ builder etc, and some porn pics. And that summer, I learned how to use these development tools day and night.
- When I finally went to college, We only have lessons about C, dbase, and foxpro. I really didn’t like these lessons, I think you will understand, and these teachers who taught these lessons, they didn’t know more than me…
- So, I think can say, I mainly learn everything I need by myself.